Friday, February 22, 2013

Positive self-talk

Today's post is one I imagined up a few weeks ago. Perfectly fitting for the month of love/black history month. How am I going to combine romance, African Americans, and weight-loss all under the same header?

With Lucille Clifton's poem "Homage to My Hips":

these hips are big hips
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top!

I love this poem. I love how self confident she is and how sexy she feels.

I have a lot of former fat girl body issues. But I think most people have some insecurities about their self image. I could not accept myself being significantly overweight, but there are things I have to learn to accept. I'm big boned. Ill never be a size 2. And yup, ill have stretch marks the rest of my life. Some people have genetically wide hips and some look anorexic even when if they eat 3000 calories a day.

The point is, whatever your goals are for yourself, you will be much more successful if you have a high degree of tolerance for your imperfections. The more you allow yourself to be discouraged, the more "fat days" you will have. No one wants to exercise on a fat day. You're setting yourself up for failure and a trip to McDonalds.

Also, guys hate when girls rag on their bodies. It is a huge turn off. Don't do that. Positive women are way more beautiful regardless of what they look like.

When I'm doing my bicycle crunches and it sucks and I'm starting to loose form, I like to tell myself, "Emily, your hips are mighty hips! You could spin a man like a top with these hips! You got this girl!"
See how that is way better than "Emily you sad sack. You still don't have the core strength to finish this set?!?!". Yuck. So, tip of the day: change the way you talk to yourself.

And if Clifton just wasn't doin it for ya, try listening to LMFAO "Sexy and I Know It". Same concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment