Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Biggest Loser

Today I want to talk about mine and P. Diddy's favorite show: The Biggest Loser. Now I don't watch a lot of television. In fact, I don't even have basic cable, and I haven't had full cable since I lived with my parents back in 2006. I think watching television makes people stupid, fat, and boring.

My humble opinion is that if you are spending a few hours a day sitting in front of the boob tube, you are wasting your life and making your ass wider. Ugh! No wonder you "don't have time" to cook your own meals or fit in a work out. What about the 60+ dollars a month you are paying to watch this crap? That shit adds up quick. Don't even get me started on the declination of America's youth in relation to electronic babysitters --no, I digress.

This post is about a show I do watch. I like Biggest Loser because it inspires me. I really believe there is nothing better to work out to. That's right, I stream the episodes on my smart phone using the NBC app. It is free and super user friendly. Then I can watch it at the gym.

When I am on my treadmill watching these morbidly obese people on their treadmills, I can't stop. If this guy can keep going at 300 lbs, then what is my excuse? And I sure as hell am not gonna touch the arm rests because I don't want to incur the wrath of Jillian.

Please don't be ignorant and try to tell me that the show exploits fat people. How? Cause it is a game show where people can be voted off based on popularity even though they're slowly dying from out of control diabetes? Or cause they will show the same clip of a contestant falling down and rolling on the floor like a flipped turtle 1,000 times? Or because they regularly are forced to participate in "temptations" where they have to binge eat junk food for prizes? Ummmmm.... Yeah. There are some aspects of the show that suck.

Nevertheless, in the 14 seasons the show has been airing, hundreds of contestants have lost thousands of pounds. Millions of viewers have gotten motivated to take up the Biggest Loser challenge, myself included.

I love how the shows tries to get to the root of why people are fat. These people start talking about their pasts and their feelings. Lord. I LOVE feelings. I appreciate that this mainstream show is saying, "Look, fat people aren't all lazy idiots who can't quit shoveling burritos down their throats. They've got issues. There is a lot going on in their chubby little hearts that has to get sorted".

It isn't too late to start following this season. Go ahead and cancel your tv subscription, and stream it from NBC.

My tip for the day: limit how much tv you are watching. Did you know you don't have to watch it every day? Don't eat in front of the tv. Don't watch tv right before bed or when you're trying to sleep. Don't leave it on for background noise. If you are going to watch, watch it online, you shouldn't waste one more second than you have to on commercials.

Exceptions to my television policies:
I watch tv at the gym
Women who are nursing should watch loads of tv.
Having "a show" that you watch with a group of friends or your family can be fun. If you are under the influence of drugs, you may as well turn on the tv, melt into the couch, and stay the hell out of the kitchen.

3 comments:

  1. andddd I created a profile just so I could make that last comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the biggest loser and I was thinking about how much tv I watch earlier today. This hasn't been the best week for me. I've been lazy, no questions about that, but I have stuck to little changes. Starting and keeping up a diet and leaving soda behind. It's been hard. I've never wanted a diet soda so bad and I hate diet soda. Little steps will get me close. Weigh in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete